This summer I have been hard at work training for multiple triathlons. This comes with lots of planning, preparation, and perseverance. Have you considered a triathlon for yourself? Here are my tips to keep you on track:
1. Weight Train. There is no question that weight training has really added to my strength during my endurance training and during races. I have more power when I really need it. I have been working with Danielle at Catalyst Health who developed a great plan for me.
2. Electrolytes. Sometimes us doctors make the worst patients. I noticed that during a few of my workouts I was starting to become dizzy and feeling very drained. I realized I had not been supplementing with enough electrolytes. I really love this Endurlyte product from Genestra. I've also been using Honey Stinger gels for energy.
3. Epsom Salts, Magnesium & Arnica. I don't have a bath tub in my tiny Toronto condo, but I do love a good epsom salts bath when I can get it. I've actually taken to soaking washcloths in the salty water and wrapping around my achy muscles. I've been taking magnesium bis-glycinate internally as well for enhanced muscle relaxation. After my first race I took 3 pellets of homeopathic Arnica montana every few hours. I bounced back pretty quickly!
4. Yoga & Rest Days. It can be hard to rest when you're so focused on training, but it's absolutely crucial. Yoga has been absolutely wonderful, as well as good old days of nothing!
5. Countdown Calendar. I have a calendar on my fridge with my training schedule. I get to check off each day I complete and work my way toward race day. It keeps me motivated and on track.
I competed a few years ago and created a Triathlon Packing List for you to use, too.
Now it's your turn to tell me about your favourite tips and tricks to make it through long days and months of training.