With Thanksgiving greeting us this weekend in Canada I am excited to share a Sugar Pumpkin Smoothie Recipe with all of you. Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving to recognize the harvest, and with harvest time comes a whole host of goodies from the earth. Sugar pumpkins are just one of these delicious offerings. Nutritionally, sugar pumpkins are loaded with Vitamin A (notice their orange colour), Vitamin C, fiber, potassium and even a little bit of protein. They also boast a sweet taste, which makes them the perfect addition to most fall meals.
So after you've spent Thanksgiving weekend pureeing sugar pumpkins for pumpkin pie, why not save some for a delicious protein smoothie perfect for post-workout refuelling:
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (see this easy puree recipe from my supervisor, Dr. Adam Gratton)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I really like Sun Warrior Warrior Blend Vanilla)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Splash of pure vanilla extract (try this brand)
- 1/2 ice cubes
- Blend in your blender or Magic Bullet (my kitchen saviour) for 1 minute.
- Enjoy within 1 hour of your workout for optimal muscle uptake and recovery.
What are your favourite pumpkin recipes for fall?