It's a hot summer day and I'm busy preparing a delicious meal for me and my significant other. Spicy, barbeque chicken is on the menu along with roasted sweet potatoes and a vibrant green salad. But something is missing from this mid-August meal. Something - warm and soft. Southern. Sweet. Corn bread!
I sigh as I remember I've been following a grain-free diet for the past 2 months, and treats like corn bread fall right into that category - corn and all.
Then I remember almond flour makes a pretty fantastic replacement for grain flours in most baked goods. There must be a recipe out there. I search, and indeed there are a few. I meld them together into my own little creation and here's what happened...
- 1.5 cups almond flour (try JK Gourmet or Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 tsp baking power
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp honey
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Coconut butter (for greasing the pan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 6" round pan or 8" square pan with coconut butter.
- Combine all ingredient in a large bowl and mix at until fluffy for about 2 minutes.
- Pour into your baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown, the center is springy and a knife comes out clean.
- Spoon out hot and steamy and enjoy with your meal.