Colds and flus are all around us this month! Are you coughing and sneezing along with the rest of us? One of my regular go-to's for this time of year is DIY Cough Syrup. It's easy to make, isn't full up crap and doesn't suppress the symptoms.
Remember, the cure for the cold is the cold itself.
Your body simply needs to fight off the virus, and you can help it by giving yourself lots of antimicrobial support in the form of garlic and onions. These two members of the Allium family are exceptionally high in antimicrobials amongst other things. But it's best to consume them in raw form, which is where this syrup comes in handy. So get out your chopping board and let's get started:
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large yellow or small purple onion, peeled
- 2 cups honey, divided into 4 x 1/4 cups
- Quarter the onion.
- Coarsely chop 1/4 of the onion and 1 clove of garlic. Place these in a small glass Mason jar and cover with 1/4 c of honey.
- Repeat step 2 until you have used up all garlic and onion.
- Place in the refrigerator. It will be ready within 1 hour, but it keeps for up to 5 days.
- You'll notice a thin liquid forming on top of the mixture. Take 2 Tbsp of this liquid as needed to alleviate your cold.
Optional Additions: 1 tsp cayenne, 1 tsp ground ginger
NOTE: please do not use if you have an Allium family sensitivity or for children under the age of 1.
Thanks for reading & let me know how you feel after trying them out.
Don’t forget to share with a friend in need, too.