It's summer & with that comes the desire to enjoy delicious, crunchy & cool salads. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine principles, changes of season like going from winter to spring/summer and summer to fall/winter signals our body to a change in cravings. Soups and stews (unless chilled) take a back burner to salads and raw veg. Unfortunately, many of us know how laden with crap regular salad dressings can be. I encourage you to try out a homemade dressing like the Caesar Dressing recipe I have included here. I Cleaned it up from my favourite Joy of Cooking selection.
From my kitchen to yours...
Caesar Salad Dressing
Serves 6 – 8
- 5 anchovy fillets, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a small bowl well combine 5 anchovy fillets, 2 cloves minced garlic and ½ tsp salt.
- Then whisk in lemon juice and Worcestshire sauce.
- Add olive oil in a slow, steady stream while constantly whisking.
- Serve with loosely chopped Romaine lettuce and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese (optional).
Tip: Looking for an extra crunch, but don't want to resort to croutons? Try breaking up Mary's Gone Crackers overtop of your salad or use roasted sunflower seeds or chickpeas.